Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Plumbing and Framing

Sara and I met up yesterday at Pipeline in Hopkins towards the end of the day for another marathon of looking at plumbing hardware. Ok, we aren't quite up for selection "marathons" at this point, so maybe it was more like a "plumbing 5k."

After staring at faucets and toilets and shower heads for too long, your mind goes numb. We are finding we're good for about 2 1/2 hours on any one topic before we get too close to the "yeah, we'll just take that one" point. As I wrote in the last post, we're building this so we can create "our house" (within the context of a budget of course) so we are always taking a step back when we reach the point where settling for something seems expedient.

This was an extremely productive couple of hours. Last time, we had basically settled on toilets, but that was about it. We worked through all of the bathrooms, the laundry room, our master bath and the kitchen last night. We are very very close to knowing exactly what we want for plumbing and plumbing related products. We've been very fortunate in that we definitely have very similar tastes in what we DON'T like. So we've been able to eliminate a whole host of options right off the bat.

Most of (of course not all) the products that would be way outside of our budget happen to be gaudy and obviously "not us." That has narrowed our choices down in most cases to a few options, of which we like most or all.

With only a few exceptions, we now have our wish list for all of our plumbing. Adam is putting it all into a list for us with pictures and prices so we can really sit down and look at what we have in the spec book vs. what we want to have in the house. From there, we can actually come to our final conclusions. Adam said yesterday that we can expect to get this list later today or tomorrow. We'll likely set up our next (perhaps last) meeting with him for next week or the following. We still have a lot of research to take care of on this front, but last night was definitely successful.

Being south of Minneapolis we took a little detour after Pipeline to go to Centennial Lakes in Edina where we got engaged almost two years ago (Feb. 8th, 2008). It was a little colder that evening, and this time we didn't hop on a plane for the beach. But it was fun to go there in the winter where people were skating and just be there together.

We had a nice dinner at Crave in the Galleria, and then headed home. We had separate cars because we had met at Pipeline, and Sara had a few errands to run.

I thought I'd swing by the house just to see what they did Monday. I was amazed.

I'm excited to go to the lot during the daytime and take pictures. Although that will likely not be until Saturday because I'm heading to DC tomorrow. And who knows how far they will be then.

They have the beginning of all of the basement walls up, and the structure for the main floor all in place as of yesterday. I was thrilled to see what they had accomplished. I met Sara back at home and we both went out to the land together to look at it again and snap some photos (yes, in the dark).

I almost don't want to miss the next few days in light of what they accomplished yesterday. But I suppose gaining clients and new business is part of the long term plan and might even help with these short term goals. So alas, I'll have to see the results of four more days of construction when I return.







No comments:

Post a Comment