Monday, December 7, 2009

Ground Breaking

Today, Sara and I were able to watch TJB Builders start to dig the foundation of our new home. What an incredible day. It was about 20 degrees out. The next few days have snow flurries to blizzards in the forecast. Nonetheless, a small crew was out there bright and early today to start digging and get our foundation poured and the walls framed before it gets too cold and before there is too much snow. It wasn't without hiccups. 20 degrees isn't the best weather for starting a backhoe, and they weren't able to get it running early enough to get started right when we arrived. At 8:00am, we were on site. The guys who were doing the digging had a Bobcat, and had the materials to pour the foundation all placed nicely on pallets in our yard. But no backhoe.



The two neighbor boys were home from school with their mom today. I can already tell we're going to get along well with their family. The kids were so excited to be able to watch the big machines dig up the yard. And all of them are very excited to have a home next to them rather than an empty lot. We left about 8:20 to go over to TJB for some meetings. In the next month, we need to make quite a few significant decisions, the first of which are siding, fascia and trim colors. We also have to select a front door. We made some exciting changes while at the TJB offices to the windows in several of the rooms. This included adding a few large picture windows which should be very nice. After leaving with all sorts of catalogs and color pallets, we went back to get a chance to watch them actually digging the property. It was awesome being there with Sara and having the opportunity to watch them dig different parts of what will soon be our home. When we arrived back at the lot, the neighbor boys were either still, or back, outside watching them dig away.

Plus, both Jereomy and Jason from TJB (Tom the owner's nephew and son respectively) came back out to the property to be with us as we watched this significant part of the build. I can see why they've built such a significant portion of all three phases of Aspen Bay, and I can see why Extreme Home Makeover has chosen them twice to build MN homes for their show. They have given us all the attention that we've needed as a customer. Perhaps it is because all building has slowed. I think it is more likely that they are just good with customer service, and have had success because of it. Plus Jason owns a home just down the street, and I'm sure Jereomy will be on the Lakes in the not too distant future.


Sara has to leave tomorrow for another business trip to California. I am fortunate that I'm going to be able to see changes daily over the next week. I have a feeling the changes Sara sees when she gets home at the end of the week will be dramatic (assuming no serious blizzards). I'm excited to get out to the lot during the day Saturday when she is back.


Here is a short video of them digging today. I'm going to post a second post tonight with some more photos:





No comments:

Post a Comment